Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Laundry Tips




I have always thought I had laundry figured out well I never had, growing up we sorted everything, whites, mediums, darks, delicates, jeans, towels, sheets,etc... Well I have done that as well and have about 12 loads a week and it is just to overwhelming for sure well I have tried the last 2 weeks 2 methods and I bought these awesome Shout Color Catcher sheets and what a difference laundry day has been and also re-doing the laundry room to make it a happy place has made a difference as well. I added color, a lamp (inspired by cousin Lori) plug in glade air freshner (apple cinnamon) organized added a rug and color cordinating coat hangers and covered my shelves. Its amazing what a little bit can do and I spent about $60 for this makeover and used Christmas money.
Well my 2 weeks of Laundry re-do and help from others and I will share one of my personal favorites in a moment from www.allabouthim.cc/blog
Week 1: I would wash and dry a load every night before bed and fold next morning and put away and I would start another load if I thought I was going to have time to fold it and put away when done.I started this on Sunday night and I was done with all our Laundry by Thursday and it was all washed, dried, folded and put away. It felt awesome to have 3 days NO LAUNDRY.
Well week 2...
I had time on Monday to wash EVERYTHING (maybe because I did not have much since it was caught up from last week) Then on Tuesday I folded it all and put away and now guess what I am done for the week how AWESOME is that and it feels good, and yes if something needs to be washed over the next few days I can do it and not feel like it is this horrible monster trying to attack me and I get to go into my new redecorated Laundry room that I love!!!!!!!
Now I have attached some pictures and also a blog that I would love for you to follow and to make this even more fun I am doing another giveaway for a goody for your Laundry room. How fun is that so comment below and let me know you are following my friends blog and if you use any of her tips or how you do your laundry.

From: www.allabouthim.cc.blog
An Efficient Laundry System
January 13th, 2012



If you struggle to keep up with your laundry ask yourself these 2 questions…

1. How easy it is for me to get the laundry into the washer?
Do you have to go to multiple rooms and multiple hampers to gather the dirty laundry and towels? How about sorting? Do you have an easy way to sort the whites from the darks…? Do you have to struggle to pull a loaded hamper or basket down the stairs and into the laundry room? If so, this could be one of the major reasons your laundry system isn’t working. Consider some ways to make this process easier…

Could you put one hamper in a spot that everyone can use rather than having a hamper in multiple rooms?
How about using a divided hamper so everyone can sort the laundry as it is tossed in?
A smaller collapsible hamper can be stored by or near the large hamper and used to easily take one already sorted load to the washer.
There are lots of ways to make the laundry gathering process easier.

2. Do I have too many clothes, sheets and/or towels?
Our immediate response is to answer “No way!”, but if you are struggling to stay on top of your laundry this really could be the problem. We have to admit that sometimes the thing motivating a load of laundry being washed is the fact that there are no more clean (fill in the blank). I learned to use this to my advantage. The key is – don’t let yourself have so many towels, clothes and sheets that you can ALLOW big stacks of laundry to pile up. For example, I decided that if I could go an entire week without washing towels – we had too many towels. Paring them down has really helped cut back on the stack of towels waiting to be washed. *I do have a stash of extra towels in case of an emergency or overnight guests.
Paring down my t-shirts means I always have a fresh and clean favorite to wear – no more wearing the ones at the bottom of the stack that I really didn’t like anyway. I also just have one extra set of sheets for each bed. If I want clean sheets in a week I have to wash the ones I just took off the bed (within that week). It really has worked to keep me motivated and moving and I love that there is less to wash.
Now, I know you are thinking “But you are washing more often and I don’t want to wash more often!” I wondered the same thing as I was working to pare down. The truth I found is that I am still washing the same number of loads each week. I washed a load of towels every couple of days before, I ran a load of clothes every day before – the difference? No more stacks of stuff I didn’t get to! LOVE that.
I hope these tips help you if you find laundry is not fun in your home. We can make it fun together.
I hope I have not overwhelmed you please dont forget to comment I will do the drawing for the giveaway on Sunday, January 22

5 comments:

  1. Great post! My friend and I started a laundry service from our homes a few years ago. We started looking for ways to save money and came across a simple trick. Tennis balls. If you toss a few into the dryer it cuts down drying time by about 25% while fluffing bulky items at the same time. It's basically an old school dryer ball.
    http://www.laundrycare.biz/cleveland-ohio-laundry-service/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Lindsey! Keeping laundry under control is something that I've been able to do in the past, but now it's a bit out of control again. :-) I'm hoping to be able to use some of your tips to get things under control again, since we'll be putting the house on the market in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did end up taking over half of all the boys clothes and put them in a separate closet. This is making it impossible for clothes to pile up as high as before. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kierstyn you are the winner for the Laundry giveaway!!!! I will get you your goody soon :-)

    ReplyDelete